Sunday, July 24, 2011

Poor Boy Livestock Auction

Saturday I went to my first ever livestock auction.  I heard many things about livestock auctions from both my mom, siblings, and my husband but I never personally had ever gone to one.  Until this past Saturday that is.

My husband and I went to my mom's house Friday evening to ready up for Saturdays trip.  We woke up early Saturday morning and made our way towards Oklahoma.  From my mother's house to the livestock it took about 3 hours.  I had never gone to a livestock auction so I was kind of excited.

We arrived at Poor Boy Livestock Auction a little early and they didn't start bidding till 10:00 AM so we took a quick look at all the animals that were being unloaded for the auction.  At the max there was only about 15 to 20 pigs and hogs put together.  There weren't that many goats either but there were a lot cattle.

After getting an idea of how many pigs and hogs there were my mom wanted to check out the little vendors at the entrance gate to see if they had any chickens.  My mom ended up buying a few roosters with a lady that came along with us.  We didn't spend too much time out by the vendors because of the scorching sun so we made our way back inside in to the auction house.

A little after 10:00 they started the bidding on pigs first.  My mom wanted only wild hogs so we waited  a little while for that.  However, due to a certain bidder who basically bought out all the pigs and hogs my mom only got 2 hogs.  One was a female and the other was male.  The bid ended with the hogs being $82.00 for just one.  My mom took them both for the same price so she ended paying $165.00 altogether on just those 2.

We ended leaving after we got the hogs loaded in to the trailer.  My mom only wanted hogs and since there were only a few my mother said she'll go in a few months when it's cooler.  Hopefully next time she goes she will actually get enough hogs for it to be worth the gas.  Although it wasn't the funnest thing I had ever done in my life...it definitely was interesting.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment